Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: `exec shield' test in configure too strict?
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:38:37 +0200

I have checked in a test that runs a program and sees if the heap start
address is random.

Doesn't this harm cross-building Emacs?  I always thought that running
a test program at configure time should be avoided, and that tests
that only compile or link programs should be peferred.

When cross compiling the test obviously can not be run, so configure assumes
that the heap start address is not random.  Come to think of it, the old
test (checking /proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield) was worse, as it did not handle
cross compiling.

        Jan D.