Re: default :initialize function

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: default :initialize function
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:54:29 -0500 (CDT)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   > I wonder why `custom-initialize-reset' is now the default :initialize
   > function.  It completely breaks what I believe to be two fundamental
   > principles of Emacs.
   [...]
   > I believe the 21.3 default for :initialize, `custom-initialize-set',
   > should be restored.

   When was it changed?  Why?

It is much older than I thought.  It already was the default in 21.3,
unlike what I said in the above quote.  I _thought_ it was relatively
recent, because that change only got documented in the Elisp manual
two years ago.

1997-08-25  Richard Stallman  <address@hidden>

            * custom.el (custom-declare-variable): Use custom-initialize-reset
            by default, rather than custom-initialize-set.
            (custom-initialize-reset, custom-initialize-set): Doc fixes.