Re: mouse clicks on tool-bar -- why not recognize different mouse button

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: mouse clicks on tool-bar -- why not recognize different mouse buttons?
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:13:52 +0200

However, since a tool-bar item is just a graphic (not a specific name, like a menu item), why not treat tool-bar items more like we treat portions of the mode-line: why not recognize different mouse button events on tool-bar items? Why not, say, be able to have mouse-3 on a given tool-bar button do
something different from mouse-1 on the same item?

No other application I know of does this. Emacs is already very different from standard GUI applications, and adding more Emacs specific GUI things will only make it harder to port to current and future toolkits. Also, what
kind of operations do you have in mind?

        Jan D.