Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Patch: new function process-file (call-process with file handlers)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:52:01 +0200

This patch looks good to me; it could even solve other problems/
sledgehammer implementations in Tramp as well.

What puzzles me a little bit is how to apply Tramp's releasing policy
to this. Tramp 2.0 (the stable branch) is synchronized with Emacs
CVS. It shouldn't get new features but bug fixes only.

Tramp 2.1, the development branch and natural target for the new
function, contains several other new features, too. So it might be
undesirable to merge it with Emacs today.

Either one breaks the "just bug fixes" policy of Tramp 2.0, either one
synchronizes Tramp 2.1 with Emacs CVS. A compromise could be to
introduce `process-file' into Emacs now, but let the Tramp counterpart
implementation outside Emacs 21.4.

Best regards, Michael.