Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:13:21 -0400

    A while ago, I proposed an idea about make language
    environment more hierarchical and make it possible to
    generate one on demand from locale, but you refused such a
    change.

I disliked this because it involves a lot of additional complexity.
I think we don't need all that complexity.

When Emacs sees LANG=ja_JP.utf8, surely it can select the Japanese
language environment, then do something else to cause use of UTF8.
Surely it can do this without having an explicit language environment
for the combination of the two.

Isn't there an easy way to do that?