Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Setting file-name/process coding system from LANG
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:13:53 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     A while ago, I proposed an idea about make language
>     environment more hierarchical and make it possible to
>     generate one on demand from locale, but you refused such a
>     change.

> I disliked this because it involves a lot of additional complexity.
> I think we don't need all that complexity.

> When Emacs sees LANG=ja_JP.utf8, surely it can select the Japanese
> language environment, then do something else to cause use of UTF8.
> Surely it can do this without having an explicit language environment
> for the combination of the two.

Then a user can't recover that original setting when he once
switch to, e.g., Latin-1.  Just switching back to Japanese
can't setup coding systems for utf8.

Another problem is the case of LANG=zh_CN.utf8.  Currently
we don't have Chinese lang. env.  We only have Chinese-GB,
Chinese-EUC-TW, Chinese-BIG5, Chinese-CNS.  Which one to
use?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden