Re: address@hidden: Re: mouse cannot be used in *grep* buffer if font-lo

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: mouse cannot be used in *grep* buffer if font-lock is turned off]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:59:01 +0200

Moin David,

David Kastrup <address@hidden> skribis:

> However, we would need a command line option to turn it off, too, or
> people with disabilities or screen readers might be unable to even
> handle turning off the default fontification via customize.

That's a good point!  They might profit from the early black & white font-lock
style (like I try to keep my setup as far as possible -- colours always remind
me of M$-Windoze).  Maybe the customizability of faces should evolve more in
the CSS direction, with accessability, reader and printer styles.

> > An easy workaround for those who want it, is to customize the faces
> > to default.
>
> But there is no sense in forcing a heavy performance penalty if you
> don't even see a thing.

I too am not sure about the argument of always running this if you get no
benefit.  As for compilation and grep the benefit is clear.  Font-lock has
rather good parsing capabilities, and these modes need that.  The gaudiness is
a side effect really.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                              http://lernu.net/