Re: address@hidden: Re: mouse cannot be used in *grep* buffer if font-lo

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: mouse cannot be used in *grep* buffer if font-lock is turned off]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:45:11 -0400

    I tend to agree.  I think if the only reason not to turn on font-lock is
    because the visual effects are annoying, then I suggest the following:

    - always turn on the font-lock machinery.
    - font-lock.el places face properties on the `font-lock-face' property.

    M-x font-lock-mode does nothing more than

      (set (make-local-variable 'char-property-alias-alist)
           (cons '(face font-lock-face) char-property-alias-alist))

How about doing this, not always, but for certain modes (like
Compilation mode)?