Re: $HOME default on w32

From: Adrian Aichner
Subject: Re: $HOME default on w32
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:31:19 +0200

Peter Whaite <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Personally, I think that $HOME (~) should be CSIDL_PERSONAL, and that's
>> > good
>> > enough for now.
>>
>> From a Unix point of view, $HOME should be (as far as possible) "the highest
>> user-specific directory", so that everything that belongs to the user is
>> below ~.
>>
>> I think that's why I feel like HOME == USERPROFILE makes more sense.
>>
>> And since non-user-generated files (like ~/.emacs if it comes from Custom,
>> or ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list) are put below $HOME, I feel like "My
>> Documents" would be wrong.
>
> I have to agree with Stephan.
>
> David Korn's UWIN also puts HOME under USERPROFILE, and I find that
> convenient as its very useful to have your ksh ~/.profile follow you
> around when you have a roaming windows profile.  That doesn't happen

What keeps me from moving my HOME closer to USERPROFILE is the gut
feeling that my XEmacs data is probably safest at maximum distance
from Redmond.

OTOH, it wouldn't be hard for the dark side to check for %HOME% if
they wanted to "upgrade" that data for notepad compatibility :-)

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:address@hidden