Re: $HOME default on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: $HOME default on w32
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:37:51 +0200

Jay, if I got you right there is technically no difference between
CSIDL_PERSONAL and CSIDL_APPDATA (except for the location). It is more on
the conceptual side - including the visibility of the folders.
CSIDL_PERSONAL points to "My Documents" which is more visible.

In my opinion "My Documents" is more like $HOME. As a programmer I was quite
a bit frustrated in the beginning before I found "Application Data". So the
choice might depend on the audience.

Actually I feel the division between "My Documents" and "Application Data"
is far better than $HOME that points to both. But of course we can not do
much about that now.

- Lennart