Re: compilation-mode makes the buffer read-only

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: compilation-mode makes the buffer read-only
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 07:11:00 -0500

> Your change would turn on buffer-read-only for modes other than
> compilation-mode.  That does not seem desirable.

Presumably these other modes all derive from compilation-mode
(i.e. things like grep-mode), so they already are put in read-only mode.
But I agree that I don't understand the code well enough to know for sure
the implications of my change, hence my question.

> What is your intent here?

As mentioned the change

        * progmodes/compile.el (compilation-start): Assume compilation-mode
        will make the buffer read-only.
        (compilation-mode): Take arg name-of-mode.
        (compilation-setup): Make buffer read-only.
        (compilation-handle-exit): Bind inhibit-read-only.

makes the buffer read-only in cases where it is not expected.  This was
already partly fixed by making the buffer read-only for the non-minor-mode
case only, and my change intended to further reduce the number of cases
where the buffer is made read-only by moving it to `compilation-start'.

        Stefan