Re: a simple convenience function

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: a simple convenience function
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:14:27 +0100

Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What do others think about the tradeoff between the "never move right"
>> and the "make behavior predictable without looking at text"
>> constraints?
>
> I really like your predictable behavior.  I never thought about it
> that way, but now that you put it this way, I think "dwim" in this
> situation should be independent of where point is in the text.  It
> should depend on what the user did, instead.

The only problem is that if you always move to the beginning of the
text on the first press, then C-a might move right.  And that is very
strange in left-to-right languages.

Gnus has dwimish C-a in message-mode: It goes to the beginning of the
header text, or to the beginning of the line, when in a message header.
The Gnus behavior is also to move right in some circumstances.  It's
strange.

Kai