Re: Info-search-whitespace

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Info-search-whitespace
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:48:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> Info-search-whitespace to "unibyte:\\(?:\\s-+\\)*t" and on the line
>
> The \(?:..\) is actually both useless and harmful here and should be
> removed (if possible).

The default value of Info-search-whitespace-regexp is the same as the
default value of search-whitespace-regexp used in regexp isearch.  And
C-M-s suffers from the same deficiency: Emacs hangs while re-searching
for an innocently looking regexp like "unibyte: *t" on relatively long
whitespace regions even in non-Info buffers.

Removing the grouping constructs from the default values of both
variables would solve both problems.  I see no reason not to do so.
It seems Emacs interprets an expanded regexp "unibyte:\\s-+*t" as
"unibyte:\\s-*t" which works fine.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/