Re: comint-prompt-read-only causes problems in Gnus message mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: comint-prompt-read-only causes problems in Gnus message mode
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:24:31 -0600 (CST)

Harald Maier wrote:

   In other modes the inserted prompt too has the property 'read-only'

Did you check this?  (You can do `C-u C-x =' to check the text
properties of a character.)

   but there it's possible to delete the text (e.g. text-mode or the
   normal mail mode).

By default `read-only' is in yank-excluded-properties.  In that
setting, the copied text should not have the `read-only' property.  If
you remove `read-only' from yank-excluded-properties the copied text
should be _truly_ read-only.  Playing around a little bit, this seems
to be exactly what happens in practice, as it should.  So the
_combination_ of the two quotes above looks surprising.

   Except in the Gnu 'Message' mode. Here you are *not able* to delete
   the inserted prompt.  'Message' mode always complains 'Text is read
   only'.

I do not use message mode myself and am completely unfamiliar with it.
So it is difficult for me to fix this bug, which, at first sight, does
not seem to be specific to the comint prompt.  At first sight, it
would look like message mode does not respect
`yank-excluded-properties'.  It should.  I hope somebody familiar with
message mode can look into this.

Sincerely,

Luc.