Re: Strange text scrolling with Emacs + GTK

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Strange text scrolling with Emacs + GTK
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:52:14 +0000 (UTC)

    >>With a fresh CVS checkout, I noticed that text scrolling behaves
    >>a weird way: when moving the scrollbar down, the text of the top
    >>line is horizontaly scrolled from right to left before the line
    >>is moved up ...

    I don't see it --

By clicking on the down arrow of its GTK scroll bar
(`scroll-bar-toolkit-scroll'),
I was able to duplicate Marant's bug using a `bootfast' build from
last Sunday.

  GNU Emacs 21.3.50.25 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.13) of 2004-12-12
  started with
    emacs -q --no-site-file

I went from

    You are looking at the Emacs tutorial.  See end for copying conditions.
    Copyright (c) 1985, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation.
to:
    tutorial.  See end for copying conditions.
    Copyright (c) 1985, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation.

The cursor moved to the middle of the window; the text did not move
down at all.

However, I was not able to duplicate that result using a `bootfast'
build with today's CVS snapshot,
Wed, 2004 Dec 15 13:36 UTC GNU Emacs 21.3.50.27
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.13),

Instead, I exercised a different bug:  the second click on the scroll
bar down arrow did nothing ... nor did the sixth.

Hmm ... I just reproduced the first bug in this *mail* buffer in which
I am composing this message.  This is my regular Emacs, based on the
build of 2004-12-12, which evaluates a .emacs file that is over 200
kilobytes.  Since I never click on a scroll bar arrow, I have never
seen the bug before.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8