RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Getting more info on a variable in Customize buffers
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:13:15 -0800

    The "initial Lisp expression" is supposed to be the default as
    provided by the distribution.  This is what you get when you start
    Emacs with `emacs -Q'.

Access to the current value, as in `C-h v', is more useful, if we have to
choose between the two.

If we want to have the installed ("emacs -Q") value in addition to the
current value, then:

1. It shouldn't be called "initial Lisp expression" if it is in fact the
value obtained by evaluating the initial Lisp expression. It should be
called something like "installed value".

2. More useful than just seeing the installed value would be an action to
_reset_ the variable to the installed value.

There's not much use in just _showing_ any value other than the current
value; and that can in fact lead to confusion, since one expects that the
value shown by "Show Value" is the current value of the variable (though
perhaps in a different format).