Re: command fill-paragraph deletes leading Umlauts if line begins with s

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: command fill-paragraph deletes leading Umlauts if line begins with space
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:55:38 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> Personally I neither use unibyte mode nor unibyte buffers.  The
> original problem was reported by somebody else on bug-gnu-emacs, see
> <URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2004-12/msg00282.html>.

Ah, I now see the whole story.

> You can see in his report that `default-enable-multibyte-characters'
> is nil.  And the user agent string mentions "(with unibyte mode)".  So
> if he started Emacs with "--unibyte" and latin-1 characters should
> have word syntax in this case,

As his LANG is en_US.ISO-8859-15, he should be in latin-9
lang. env.  But...

> I don't know why `skip-syntax-forward'
> which was used in AUCTeX's (and is used in CVS Emacs')
> back-to-indentation function skips these characters.

surely it's strange.  The other strange thing is that his
locale-coding-system is nil.  So, perhaps he is in English
lang. env. somehow.  And, in that case, \334 has whitespace
syntax.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden