Re: list-colors-display: display all color names

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: list-colors-display: display all color names
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:27:00 +0200

> Users might be oblivious to the existence of `list-colors-display' as
> well.  This kind of arguments will not lead us anywhere.

Recently mention of `list-colors-display' was added to several
places (docstrings, the Emacs manual).  So likely most users will know
about `list-colors-display'.

>> Adding #RGB to every color name displayed by `list-colors-display'
>> in the *Colors* buffer is a more practical solution.
>
> But it clutters the display and creates a problem with long lines.  So
> I think we need a good reason for adding that.

It doesn't clutter the display too much.  As for the problems
with long lines, they are solvable.

> One idea that I like better is to add tooltips to the colors which
> show the hex RGB values.  How about this?

Tooltips is a too restricted tool: can't copy&paste, can't isearch, etc.

>> what I want to say is that using any format longer than #RRGGBB is
>> too impractical.
>
> What's impractical about it?  You can compute 12 hex digits as
> practically as you can 3 or 6.

Impractical because the most widespread format is #RRGGBB which
compactly encodes any of 16-million colors.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/