Re: Patch for Mac OS X Text Drawing

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Patch for Mac OS X Text Drawing
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:21:06 +0900

> With reflection it should be a frame property; that'll make the use
> of CGTextMetrics practical.

We need different XFontStruct (MacFontStruct) structures for the fonts
that have different metrics.  And the correspondence between a font
name and an XFontStruct structure is currently not frame-dependent
(although it is display-dependent on X11).

I don't know whether users want to use different kinds of rendering
engines per frame.

> It seems odd to specify a regexp that includes font, including font
> size, and then also specify a minimum font size.  Perhaps relying on
> the system preferences (or on Silk) would be enough?

My intention was to enable users to use information in XLFD such as
family or registry for specifying the limit of anti-aliasing.  It was
also an analogy from the variable face-font-rescale-alist.

But anyway, it turned out that my plan had a defect.  I thought about
calling SetAntiAliasedTextEnabled within every text drawing call.  But
it did not always work when Quartz 2D rendering was enabled: it worked
with "Monaco", but not with "Lucida sans typewriter".

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden