Re: Patch for Mac OS X Text Drawing

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Patch for Mac OS X Text Drawing
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:48:47 +0900

> I had hoped that this would solve the MacOSX bug where if you have
> some italic text in a window which later is overwritten with spaces
> (like happens in gnus summaries for me), small parts of the
> righthand side of characters (those that stick out of the
> rectangular box) are not properly erased. Also some characters are
> cutoff at the right.

The X11 version does handle that case.  Basically, we can also do the
same thing on Mac OS X/Carbon (try the attached patch).  But this is
not enough when used with anti-aliasing, because text drawing is no
longer idempotent: if the same text is drawn several times onto the
same place, it gets thicker.  You will notice that cursor movement
makes some characters look like in bold face as in the attached
screenshot.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden

PNG image