Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:27:49 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>

> If he sees that Customize starts out saying the value has been set in
> the current session, won't that be enough to guide him?  After all, he
> knows he has not set the variable yet IN Customize.  Won't that be
> enough, usually, for the user to deduce it was set outside Customize?

Probably if it is pointed out clearly.

>     I still
>     believe it would be good to have custom-file executed after .emacs by
>     default. In that case customize could warn for "rouge" custom variable
>     states.
>
> I don't understand what it means to "have custom-file executed after
> .emacs".

Stefan had a suggestion that custom-file should be loaded after .emacs if it
had not been loaded at that point. However I regret I mentioned that again
now. The problems we unfortunately see with Customize are too complex at the
moment. Too many details will perhaps make it harder to find any solution
and move to that now. (Which I think will be desireable even if it may be a
suboptimization.)