Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Hourglass only for X-windows?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:57:26 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden>

> > However I can
> > not see how hourglass support can be implemented at all if those places
> > where you hide or show the hourglass is ifdef:ed away. Both
start_hourglass
> > and cancel_hourglass are ifdef:ed away (unless HAVE_X_WINDOW is
defined). Am
> > I perhaps misunderstanding when HAVE_X_WINDOW is defined?
>
> HAVE_X_WINDOWS is defined for Emacs built on GNU or Unix systems with
> X support enabled.

Thanks, I guessed so but was not sure.

> So you are saying that hourglass cursor doesn't work on Windows?  I

At least I can not see that it works.

> So, assuming that hourglass cursor indeed doesn't work on Windows, and
> that those snippets are conditioned on X _because_ that feature is not
> yet implemented in the Windows port--what is it that you don't
> understand in how this feature works on Unix?

What I was trying to say was this (that it probably are conditioned for X)
and that it is a problem because with
    #ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS
around hourglass activation/deactivation you can only get things working on
X.

For the w32 port there are also
    #if 0
around the body part of the functions that do the actual job
(start_hourglass, hide_hourglass), since it is (as far as I understand) not
implemented on w32 yet.

I suggest removing the "#ifdef HAVE_X_WINDOWS" completely or (which I
believe most would like better - but not I) replacing them with something
like

    #ifdef HAS_HOURGLASS

Can we please do one of these so that it is possible to implement hourglass
support?