Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: require-hard-newlines to use newline
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:57:42 -0500

    It is impossible to distinguish between a soft newline left at the end of
    a line by require-final-newline, and a soft newline produced by, e.g., a
    call to kill-line,

I don't see how a call to kill-line can produce a newline.
I don't understand you.

                       simply by looking at the context. Both are soft, and
    both occur at the end of a line. Both newlines might even occur at the end
    of a buffer, if that was the final line. But the first is conceptually a
    hard newline

Why do you think it is "conceptually a hard newline"?  I don't think
that is true.

As I understand it, the newline that ends the last line in a paragraph
is normally soft.  A hard newline would end the following blank line.
The newline added by require-final-newline would be at the end of the
last line in a paragraph, so it ought to be soft.