Re: embedding Mozilla in GNU Emacs via GTK?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: embedding Mozilla in GNU Emacs via GTK?
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 13:44:21 +0100

From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:15:27 -0500

I am curious if there's a chance GNU Emacs will ever have an embedded
web browser object through the Mozilla GTK support:

IIRC, this has come up before.  If memory serves, the main problem was
how to reconcile the Mozilla/GTK display functions with Emacs display
engine principle of operation.  Perhaps the situation has changed
since then, though.

I don't know the details about the display engine. I imagine that is no problem as long as the GTK event loop is run properly. Mozilla should handle its redisplay by function callbacks for expose events and the like. But as long Emacs runs the X (or rather GTK) event handling in a signal handler, this will be hard to make work correctly, because the mozilla code may do just about anything. It is possible it will work for most cases though.

        Jan D.