Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for funct

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for function identifier depending on the kind of whitespace that follows]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 19:43:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Richard!

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Richard Stallman wrote:

>    Even so, it would be several years before major modes could start
>    using it in earnest, due to the need to continue supporting older
>    Emacs versions.

>Supporting other Emacs versions is a secondary issue.  We will start
>using this feature right away, in all the modes where it helps.

Indeed, that is a "luxury" you enjoy in the core team.  Since people will
be downloading Emacs as a Mega-tarball, everything works with everything
else, modulo the occasional bug.

Down at the CC Mode, though, we put a lot of effort into keeping our
product compatible with as many recent (and not-all-that-recent) Emacs
and XEmacs releases as we can.  We know that people will be downloading
and installing CC Mode directly rather than getting it with new Emacs
releases, if perhaps not all that many people.  We don't like to mess
them around.

I suspect other mode teams feel the same.  Just a small point.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)