Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 19:49:08 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The patch below makes the Lucid menu use fontsets to draw its text,
> so that it's able to write non-ASCII (the set of chars supported is
> dependent on the locale, and of course on the fonts).

Hmm.  Is the dependency on the locale necessary?

> I'm very much an idiot when it comes to X11 programming, xfaces.c,
> and lwlib, so this might be riddled with bugs and misunderstandings,
> but after some trial-and-error this not only works for me, but it
> even looks sensible to me.
>
> Any objection?

Well, I have a Latin-1 locale, and the Unicode menus from AUCTeX math
input mode don't look well in there.  GTK+, in contrast, has no
problems with showing them.

Is there a possibility for Emacs to figure out just what locales would
be supported for fonts, and use utf-8 if possible?