Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII in Lucid menus
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:46:36 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   Well, my patch does not address the issue mentioned by Dave: it can only
   display multilingual chars that are part of the user's locale.
Could it select the locale according to the characters to be displayed?

The locale info is embedded somewhere in the Xt widget info (I'm not sure
where, really), so maybe it can be done, but I don't know how.
It's probably easier to temporarily select a utf-8 locale when creating the
widget, so as to get the same behavior as Gtk where the menus always use
utf-8.

The Xt widget creation code just calls the string to fontset converter that in turn XCreateFontSet that in turn calls XCreateOC and then finally somewhere there is a call to setlocale(LC_CTYPE, NULL). So I guess the only way to to this is to set LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE in the environment prior to widget creation (assuming X does not cache this information at startup) as you suggest.

   Jan D.