Re: How to convert char from Emacs-20 internal to UTF-8?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to convert char from Emacs-20 internal to UTF-8?
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:38:02 -0500

> Thanks.  Are the encode-coding-string and encode-char functions a) fast
> enough to be used inside of dumpglyphs() for screen rendering and b)
> something I can easily lift out of 21 and backport to 20?  I'm asking
> because this is for a GNUstep/OS X interface for emacs 20
> (http://emacs-on-aqua.sf.net/), and while we'd like to bring it up to date
> to work with the coming emacs-22 (where I assume this problem disappears
> completely), this is a large job and we'd like to have support for 2-byte
> font and other i18n rendering in the meantime.  (In the OpenStep APIs,
> conversions to native font encoding are handled internally, so we don't need
> all of CCL's generality, but we need to get characters in UTF-8 or unicode
> to give to the APIs in the first place.)

The trunk of the CVS repository (which will becomes Emacs-22) already
supports OS X (via Carbon).

If that doesn't help you because you want to use some other API, I recommend
you start from the emacs-unicode-2 branch in the CVS repository (which may
become Emacs-23).  That branch changes the internal character set of Emacs
to Unicode, so you won't need to convert chars at all.

But work on Emacs-20 so obviously counter productive to me that I suspect
I just don't understand your motivations enough to give you a good response,

        Stefan