Re: wdired.el cleanup

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: wdired.el cleanup
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:02:02 -0400

> [ PS. Is there any reason not to bind C-x C-q in dired-mode-map by
>   default to wdired-change-to-wdired-mode? IMHO this key combination
>   is not easy to accidentally hit for wdired unaware users, but easy
>   to remember for wdired aware users ].

IIRC using C-x C-q is indeed the intention.
I can't remembr why I didn't do it at the time, maybe I just got
side-tracked.  I do remember there were questions about the wdired->dired
direction where users might want to be able to just make the buffer
read-only with C-x C-q without wanting to "commit" the changes.

> [ PS2. wdired has a mixed style in tabs characters and spaces (my
>   fault, for sure). I do not know policies about tabs characters here,

No policy, other than "avoid gratuitous changes since they tend to cause
spurious conflicts".  So just don't worry about TABs/spaces.

        Stefan

PS: I installed your patch, except for the mistaken change from
wdired-mode-hook to wdired-mode-hooks.