Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 22:50:04 +0300

> From: Nick Roberts <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:34:33 +1200
> Cc: address@hidden, Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>
>  > Finally, I don't really understand why new features such as this one
>  > get installed while we are in a feature freeze.  At the very least, it
>  > should have been discussed (such a discussion could also lead to
>  > better design decisions wrt scrolling).  However, I couldn't find
>  > anything related in emacs-devel archives (sorry if I missed
>  > something).
>
> They were discussed as part of a thread that started as a bug report on
> emacs-pretest-bug:
>
> fringe arrow conflict between compile and gud?
> JUAN-LEON Lahoz Garcia
> Wed, 23 Mar 2005

Sorry, that's hardly a discussion: the arrow on text terminals was
introduced as a side effect of the fringe arrow, and the adverse
effects on text-only displays was never even mentioned.  I'm guessing
that no one tried the changes on a text terminal before they were
installed.

> I guess its a chicken and egg situation but a proper feature freeze that
> lasted over a year would surely set back development.

So what are you saying? let's ignore the freeze and install anything
we want because the show must go on no matter what?