Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:46:19 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:05:44 -0400
>
>     Notice the overlay arrow that covered part of the file name: this is a
>     bug, IMHO.  If we want to have an arrow pointing out the current line,
>     we should indent the buffer text to the right as many columns as the
>     arrow string takes.
>
> It might be good to do that when overlaying the arrow on a compilation
> error buffer, but it would be a misfeature to do that when overlaying
> the arrow on a program file (which was the original use of the overlay
> arrow).

I was only talking about compilation buffers.  Buffers that visit
program sources tend to have non-zero indentation which makes this
problem almost non-existent.

> I'd probably prefer to turn off the arrow and use just the scrolling,
> for compilation buffers.

I have no problems with that, this is how it worked before the arrow
was introduced.

Btw, if the intent was to highlight the current line in the
compilation buffer, we could do this with a color overlay that spans
the entire line.  This would make the line stand out without obscuring
any of its text.