Re: flyspell bug

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: flyspell bug
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 11:23:48 +0300

>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>>      address@hidden, address@hidden
>> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:04:07 +0300
>>
>> Note that automatic changing the value of `ispell-program-name'
>> in `ispell-check-version' might surprise users of the aspell's
>> implementation of ispell.  Anyhow, this is the better place to
>> change ispell program name to "aspell" than defcustom.
>
> I think the right thing to do is to modify what's currently in CVS so
> that it doesn't fail with non-English dictionaries.  Can you describe
> how it fails in that case, and why?

ispell and aspell use different dictionaries.  Changing the default
ispell program name from "ispell" to "aspell" is an incompatible
change for users configured Emacs to use ispell dictionaries,
not aspell dictionaries.  `ispell-program-name' can be changed
automatically to "aspell" only when `ispell-check-version' detects
aspell's implemention of ispell, i.e. a program for which `ispell -v'
returns:

@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.50.5)

--
Juri Linkov