Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:33:49 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Why ``fix'' that which isn't broken?  Emacs still supports platforms
that are much older than Windows 9x, so I certainly don't see any
reasons for such a crusade against W9x build capabilities, nor any
reason to assume that no one builds Emacs on those old versions of
Windows.

There must be some reason: I frequently try to build Emacs on WindowsME
and so far have not been able to retrieve a source which installs me a
menubar.  Hence, I always have to patch `w32menu.c' before compiling.  I
know of at least one person who acquired Win2K - which BTW is older than
ME - to get around this problem.  When Emacs 22.1 is released some 9x
users will switch to XP.  I slowly begin to understand how people like
Bill Gates make their fortune.