Re: Inefficient code in reftex-index.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Inefficient code in reftex-index.el
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:35:10 +0200

>     In any case, to me, the match-data interface should not be considered
>     a user-level feature _at all_.
>
> I don't agree.  It is legitimate for user code to call match-data
> directly.  There is no reason for the changes people are proposing.

Problem is that markers slow down editing, and significantly so.  And
normal editing operations are not associated with extensive consing,
so they won't trigger frequent garbage collection.

It is not good that save-match-data leaves markers lying around, and
there is little evidence that user code using match-data is written
with the issues in mind.

Providing ways to deal with the issues right with the functions
themselves might make it both more obvious and convenient to people to
recognize and do the right thing.