Re: non-default default face

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: non-default default face
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 00:30:43 +0300

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
>  > I currently have default face set to 105 pts high adobe-courier instead
>  > of the default 90 pts adobe-courier.  Each time Emacs starts up, it thinks
>  > for a noticable amount of time, presumably creating the fonts.  Is there a
>  > way out?  Can I preserve the font size and make Emacs start more smoothly?
>
>  > (I'm on X Window System.)
>
> Emacs does not create fonts, which are the preserve of the window
> system, but it does create fontsets.

Yes, I put it in wrong words.

> How are you specifying the font of the default face?

M-x customize-face RET default RET  and set height to 105

> On X, the simplest and fastest way is with ~/.Xdefaults, like this:
>
> Emacs*Font:   -*-courier-medium-r-*--*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
>
> (That's for a 14 point font.  I assume you meant a 10.5 point font,
> which would be 105 in tenths of points.)

Works great.  For some reason, font heights in `~/.Xdefaults' and Emacs
don't match.  With ...-*-105-*-... I get 11.3 point font (according to
Emacs' information.)  With ...-102-... I get the desired 10.5 point font.
Yet more interestingly, with ...-100-... font size drops to 7.5 points
right away!

Somehow the difference is very noticable.  11.3 point font looks like
shit, while 10.5 looks good.  Apparently, XFree86 4.2's font renderer or
the font itself (adobe courier) or whatever else is not good...

Thank you for the hint.

Anyway, is there a good reason why customization of `default' face takes
so much time?  For instance, it seems to slow Emacs' starting up down
more than two times i.e. changing the ``base'' font seems much slower
setting the initial.  It's good one can hack around with X resources,
but it is not obvious to say the least.

Paul