Re: enriched-mode problems

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: enriched-mode problems
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:58:15 -0400

    Anyway, it seems pretty natural to offer minor modes with a
    customizable default setting, and not all minor modes might be 100%
    user-preference.

Minor modes are supposed to be used for user preferences.  Things
which are not user preferences should be handled with variables that
are not minor modes and not called "mode".

I know people don't follow the conventions all the time, but we will
not design Emacs features for the sake of not following the
conventions of Emacs.