Re: vc-cvs-global-switches and -f

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: vc-cvs-global-switches and -f
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:41:05 +0200

> (1) Settings from .cvsrc should be effective during VC commands, unless
>     a particular VC command would not work with that setting, in
>     which case VC must override it

I'm not going to fight over vc-cvs settings (no, really :-) but if we
were creating VC from scratch, I would push for a
`vc-cvs-use-cvsrc-settings', defaulting to nil. The equivalent
functionality as of today is vc-cvs-global-settings '("-f").

> (2) Customizations that the user makes inside Emacs should override
>     settings in .cvsrc.  In some cases, it may be good or tolerable to
>     see a warning message if the settings are inconsistent, e.g. in
>     your case where Emacs and .cvsrc don't agree on the diff format.

Just a question: how do you do Emacs override a setting? Because if
you've got "update -dP", how you would make Emacs do just "update -d"
without passing -f?

> (3) Generally, users who customize VC settings or who create .cvsrc
>     files can be considered advanced users, and they can be bothered
>     with some effort to make sure that both kinds of settings are
>     consistent.

I'm not entirely sure why being knowledgeable on CVS should make you
knowledgeable on Emacs.

> However, given that we are in a feature freeze, and given (3), and given
> the fact that this is a rather exotic situation, I don't think we should
> change anything right now.

Other than the (3) part, yeah, I agree with this.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u