Re: vc-cvs-global-switches and -f

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: Re: vc-cvs-global-switches and -f
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:48:34 +0200

> > (2) Customizations that the user makes inside Emacs should override
> >     settings in .cvsrc.  In some cases, it may be good or tolerable to
> >     see a warning message if the settings are inconsistent, e.g. in
> >     your case where Emacs and .cvsrc don't agree on the diff format.
>
> Just a question: how do you do Emacs override a setting? Because if
> you've got "update -dP", how you would make Emacs do just "update -d"
> without passing -f?

As I said, I was not referring to the current implementation.
Currently, Emacs cannot do this, and it likely requires "-f", along with
a way to parse .cvsrc from within Emacs as pcvs.el does it.

I was just saying that this seems the most reasonable behaviour,
regardless of whether it can easily be implemented (especially during a
feature freeze).