Re: Bad Protocol request 77

From: jhd
Subject: Re: Bad Protocol request 77
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:05:57 +0200

Can you print out the error string (error parameter to x_error_handler)? 77 is just XDrawImageString16 which is in the second backtrace as expected. But it can generate different errors. I think it is a BadMatch, which usually indicates bad input to XDrawImageString16. You should be able to
walk up to the stack frame  that calls XDrawImageString16 and examine
the input.

It's indeed a BadMatch, but I don't know what part of the input would be
interesting to examine or what legitimate values should look like,

As you had a recipe for reproducing this, it is probably the œ character that is either miscoded in the string argument (the penultimate argument, an XChar2b *) or it is missing in the font used for bold. If you can print the values in the XChar2b* (the last argument to XDrawImageString16 specifies the length in characters, i.e. bytes/2) and use xfd to inspect the font used, you should be able to tell if all characters in the XChar2b* are present in the font.

    Jan D.