Re: Turn on longlines in text modes [patch]

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Turn on longlines in text modes [patch]
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:39:32 -0400 (EDT)

> With the advent of longlines-mode it seems highly useful to have this
> mode directly available from the Options menu, and at least have a
> simple way to turn it on automatically in all text modes, just like
> auto fill. This could be done as in the enclosed patch. Of course
> there would be more generic ways, integrating the auto fill and
> longlines toggle functions, etc. - but probably not worth the hassle.

Just a note: longlines mode should not be used with auto-fill-mode on. In
fact, longlines-mode explicitly turns off auto-fill-mode.

> Also, can I suggest to turn on longlines-wrap-follows-window-size by
> default? Longlines is very much a matter of altering the way text is
> displayed (rather than actually modifying the buffer as saved to
> disk). Therefore I think it would be very sensible to link it to the
> window size by default rather than to a fixed line length. (This
> change is not included in the patch.)

The reason longlines-wrap-follows-window-size is nil by default is that it
can produce unexpected behavior when the buffer is simultaneously
displayed in two windows with different widths. Longlines will wrap using
the width of one of the windows, and the results will look strange in the
other window. There doesn't seem to be an easy way out of this, as far as
I know. At least, using fill-column, at least the results will be
consistent (provided no windows are narrower than the value of
fill-column.) Of course, if you don't encounter such situations,
longlines-wrap-follows-window-size should work perfectly fine.