Re: Turn on longlines in text modes [patch]

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Turn on longlines in text modes [patch]
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 04:34:24 -0400

    Also, can I suggest to turn on longlines-wrap-follows-window-size by
    default?

It sounds like a good idea to me.
But maybe there should be a user-settable maximum.

    There are several ways out of that one, I guess.  One is to allow
    settings of 'min and 'current (with the obvious implications), another
    would be to use window-local display properties for letting spaces
    display as newlines (and newlines as spaces) when some window has a
    different width.

`min' would certainly give consistent results.  To use the selected
window, it should be `selected', not `current'; this could work
presuming the code runs at the right time not to get confused
about which window that will be.

    By the way: longlines-mode (with longlines-wrap-follows-window-size)
    seems to wrap to early when using a variable-width font. Since
    variable-width fonts are predominantly used in text (as opposed to
    code) writing contexts, and that's where longlines-mode plays an
    important role, it might be a good idea to think about a fix.

This is an entry in etc/TODO--to make the indentation and filling
commands handle variable-width fonts.  I'd really be glad if someone
would work on this.