Re: stackdump on cygwin (was: is there a cygwin maintainer for gnu emac

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: stackdump on cygwin (was: is there a cygwin maintainer for gnu emacs?)
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:05:11 -0700

emacs user wrote:

> here is a sample emacs.exe.stackdump file I get when emacs crashes.  in the
> absence of a detailed gdb GC debugging which I dont know how to do, does
> this help?

I don't know anything about emacs, but I don't think this will help
anyone find the problem.  A stack trace without symbols (i.e. just
numbers) contains no useable information.  And since it appears that you
are running a self-compiled version (in /usr/local) then it is even more
useless since your offsets are going to be unique.

It would be better for you to set the error_start parameter of the
CYGWIN environment variable so that gdb is launched on the fault, and
get a stack backtrace.  Though this will suffer from the same problem
unless you've compiled from source with debugging information enabled.
A backtrace with symbolic function names and/or line numbers is really
the only useful form.

Brian