Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:27:59 +0300

>>It is useful to move point into the minibuffer prompt without
>>changing default settings.  But since this can be confusing for
>>beginners, maybe it should be more difficult to move point into the
>>prompt area by default?  For example, to disable moving point into
>>the prompt with C-b, but allow C-a at the beginning of the input
>>area to move point to the beginning of the prompt.  This is like C-a
>>(`message-beginning-of-line') works on message header fields.
>>
> Could be an idea, sounds consistent and not to surprising perhaps. But
> it seems easier to change the default for "Inviolable".

Instead of changing the default, please try to find a solution that
will please as much the beginners as the seasoned Emacs users.

> BTW the message "Text is readonly" is also confusing when "Inviolable"
> is set. You expect the prompt to be readonly and the message is
> disturbing when you delete character by character and then suddenly this
> text appears over the prompt. The first time you see this you may think
> that something is very wrong, at least that is what I did.

What do you expect in this situation?  Trying to delete a character at
bob prints the message "Beginning of buffer".  Perhaps it should print
something like "Beginning of prompt input area" in the minibuffer.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/