Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Avoiding moving point into minibuffer prompt area
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:55:38 +0200

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

   >The command delete-backward-char is going to fail because the text is
   >read-only.  What exactly do you suggest that it do?

   I would just like... point to stop where it is then.

Normally, delete-backward-char at the beginning of the buffer
gives an error, "Beginning of buffer".  It would seem strange
if, when just after the prompt, it did nothing at all.
Perhaps not. Is not this another situation. The buffer could be scrolled down (for example).

In the minibuffer there is by default (emacs -Q) no color that tells where the prompt ends.

The prompt uses the face `minibuffer-prompt'.  Are you saying this
does not work for you?  It works for me.
No. I tried to say that the default face for the minibuffer prompt does not have any special background color.

It is hard for me to understand the rest of your message.  It seems
to cover many topics and I do not see the relationship between them.
Maybe I should have to learn that communication by email is a bit different than in real life. What I tried to say was that it is common GUI design to use a special background color for the areas you can not move into in a window (Emacs frame). Emacs does that to. For example for the mode line, the menu bar etc. The same kind of visual clue could be used for the prompt in the minibuffer.

And I will not say more now. I stop to make this a clear starting point.