Re: address@hidden: Emacs very slow opening file]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Emacs very slow opening file]
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:39:40 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     So, I would conclude, that there is no bug at all.  Emacs can't
>     possibly know, that the "Local Variables:" block isn't meant to be
>     interpreted in the diff file. =20
>
> Hmm.  It still feels like a bug to me, and I want to find a way to fix
> it.

When Emacs is running diff itself, it could start the output off with
an appropriate -*- type string overriding a possible local variables
block.  Or it could append a solitary ^L to the output (which is the
normal way of telling Emacs not to look further backward for a local
variables section).

> One idea is to restrict what strings can be used as the "prefix" in
> a local variables list, so that local variables lists in diff output
> are not obeyed.
>
> Meanwhile, I think it is also a bug that Font-Lock in C mode parses
> most of the file, even when given data that isn't really C.

Well, one would need a "give up" heuristic then.