Re: address@hidden: Emacs very slow opening file]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Emacs very slow opening file]
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:55:14 +0300

> E.g. major modes could set a "local-variables-prefix-regexp" which
> the text leading to the "Local Variables" should match.  E.g. c-mode
> could set it to "\\`[ \t]*\\(//\\|/?\\*)[ \t]*\\'" Problem is:
> in order for this to be useful for the OP, the test should be done
> *after* using the Local-Variables's section (i.e. after switching to
> C mode).  Still, it doesn't sound unfeasible, and would help reduce
> the likelihood of mistakenly using a Local-Variables section.

Recently I ran into the problem when Emacs tried to interpret the
Local Variables section in the "htmlized" file.  I suggested to the
author of htmlize.el to replace `Local Variables:' in the output by
its HTML equivalent `Local Variables:' that Emacs doesn't recognize.

With a new special variable HTML mode could set it to a value that
matches the Local Variables section only inside HTML comments, and such
problems of mistakenly using a Local Variables section wouldn't occur
in packages that convert files to other representations.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/