Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New Emacs Icon and Tango
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:25:45 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>     the kitchen sink and swiss army knife are funny, but it's an
>     inside joke.  an icon should be simple, visually and
>     conceptually.  i don't know of another simple symbol for an
>     editor besides a notepad (maybe we should call the image a
>     "notebook"), so i'm comfortable with that (despite microsoft's
>     penchent for co-opting concepts with generically named tools).
>
> I second everything Ken said. I knew, for instance, that the swiss army
> knife image I played with cannot be appropriate as an icon because it cannot
> be made legible at a small size.
>
> And his more important point is spot on: if we try to make any
> association between the image and the meaning/use of Emacs, it
> should be the plain-text editor meaning/use - not the
> does-everything-has-everything-including-the-kitchen-sink
> meaning/use (and not, IMO, necessarily the gnu association
> either). Advertise Emacs as a plain-text editor - newbies will
> discover soon enough that it is really a portal to beatitude and
> collective self-realization ;-).

I was thinking about how to bring across the notion that this notebook
is somewhat more than a first glance would suggest, and got the idea
of something sticking out.  Maybe two tiny horns from the bindings?
They'd not be important, so it would be ok if they were just
recognizable at higher resolution.