Re: mouse-1 not going to URL

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: mouse-1 not going to URL
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:17:33 +0000 (UTC)

       Although moving the mouse over a URL produces this message as a
       tooltip,

           mouse-1: go to this URL

   How exactly do you get that to happen?
   What commands do you type, and over what text do you put the mouse?

I wrote the foo.texi file, which follows after my signature.  Then I
made an Info file from that Texinfo file by evaluating the following
in a shell:

    makeinfo --force --fill-column=70 --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose foo.texi

In the foo.texi file, I included a URL reference to a known Web page:

    See
    @url{http://www.rattlesnake.com/notions/Choice-and-Constraint.html},
    which is intended as a description of `what is'
    @dots{}

In the default GNU Emacs, started with `emacs -Q -D', that sentence
appears as:

    See `http://www.rattlesnake.com/notions/Choice-and-Constraint.html',
    which is intended as a description of `what is' ...

(with the URL in blue and underlined).

In the default GNU Emacs, when I move the mouse over the URL, the
background changes to a light blue green that is called
`darkseagreen2'.  When I click a mouse cursor on the URL, the message
area says both:

    mouse-1: go to this URL

(which I quoted out of the *Messages* buffer) but nothing happens.

Hmmm ... `M-x w3' does nothing and I just looked for `w3' in the Emacs
CVS sources and could not find them.  I thought W3 mode was included
in the default CVS sources, but evidently it is not.  W3M mode, which
is much faster than W3 mode, is not included either.

That would explain why clicking the mouse cursor over the URL fails.

As is, in the default GNU Emacs, the message is wrong; it should not
say:

           mouse-1: go to this URL

Either W3 mode or preferably W3M mode should be made a part of the
standard Emacs or the message in the default should be changed.

(In my usual Emacs, in which W3M mode is loaded by my .emacs file, the
proper URL comes up when I click on it.  I just checked.  In this
case, the message is correct.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

Here is information from the default GNU Emacs started with
`emacs -Q -D':

    In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10)
     of 2005-10-24 on benthic
    X server distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version 11.0.40300001
    configured using `configure '--with-type1' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk'
'--prefix=/usr/local' '--with-sound=yes''

    Important settings:
      value of $LC_ALL: nil
      value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
      value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
      value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
      value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
      value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
      value of $LC_TIME: nil
      value of $LANG: en_US
      locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
      default-enable-multibyte-characters: nil

    Major mode: Info

    Minor modes in effect:
      mouse-wheel-mode: t
      auto-compression-mode: t
      font-lock-mode: t
      unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
      utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
      line-number-mode: t

Here is the foo.texi file that I use for testing:

\input texinfo.tex  @c -*-texinfo-*-
@comment %**start of header
@setfilename foo.info
@settitle Texinfo Test
@smallbook
@comment %**end of header

@ignore

 ## Summary of shell commands to create various output formats:

    pushd /u/texinfo/

    ## Info output
    makeinfo --force --fill-column=70 --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose foo.texi

    ## ;; (kill-buffer "*info*")
    ## ;; (info "/u/texinfo/foo.info" nil)

    ## DVI output
    texi2dvi foo.texi

    ## View DVI output
    ##     xdvi foo.dvi &

    ## HTML output
    makeinfo --no-split --html foo.texi

    ## Plain text output
    makeinfo --fill-column=70 --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose --no-headers --output=foo.txt  \
    foo.texi

    ## DocBook output
    makeinfo --docbook --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose foo.texi

    ## XML output
    makeinfo --xml --no-split --paragraph-indent=0 \
    --verbose foo.texi

    popd

@end ignore

@titlepage
@sp 6
@address@hidden @titlefont{Test document}
@sp 4
@center by Robert J. Chassell

@page
@vskip 0pt plus 1filll
@end titlepage

@contents

@ifnottex
@node Top, Chapter One, (dir), (dir)
@top Test Top
@end ifnottex

@menu
* Chapter One::
@end menu

@node Chapter One,  , Top, Top
@chapter Chapter One

Contents of chapter 1.

See
@url{http://www.rattlesnake.com/notions/Choice-and-Constraint.html},
which is intended as a description of `what is'
@dots{} not the `what is' that most often concern citizens,
politicians, and political scientists, but a `what is' that reflects
the current world and of `what can be done'.

More contents of chapter 1.

@bye