Re: File modes facilities.

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: File modes facilities.
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:58:06 -0400

    I did consider that, and we could do that as well, but IMO, the whole
    point of this to allow interactive specs for built-in functions to be
    written in Lisp, i.e. in a .el file, so people can improve on the code
    without modifying the base functionality.

The idea is to write it in Lisp, but that doesn't mean putting
it in a different file, which is undesirable.  It is cleaner
to keep the interactive spec in the function definition, not
separate it.

If you want to put the code in a separate file, you can put
it in a function and make the interactive spec call that function.
So that option will still exist.  But I don't want to make that
the only option.

    Below is a _much_better_ patch which allows ANY function to have its
    interactive specification overridden, and consequently you can make
    any function into a command.

I don't know if I want to make functions into commands
except by editing their definitions in the standard way.