Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:29:53 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> The only think I can think of that would help beginners with such
> inputs would be to detect such cases and ask the user "Did you mean
> this as a regexp or as a list of keywords?"  That question would
> help people without requiring them to remember in advance that the
> two options exist.

> I have not looked at the program callers of the apropos commands.
> If this is likely to break them, maybe we should not do it.
> Otherwise, would you like to do it?

This is on my to-do list.

The main problem is that current callers always supply a regexp.

I'm thinking about adding a new optional argument ENABLE-KEYWORDS
to all apropos commands and set it via an interactive "p" spec,
i.e. so it is set to an integer for interactive use (meaning: ask user).

Other callers could specify "nil" (default) to mean interpret PATTERN
as regexp, "t" to mean interpret PATTERN as words, and ">0" to mean ask
user, and "<0" to mean "automatically determine" without asking.